Sunday, October 3, 2010

Change..

Isn’t it amazing how small, insignificant things, like a smell, a song or even a few words on an old blog can bring back memories, emotions and insecurities that you’ve forgot you had? I came upon an old blog I wrote a few years ago earlier today, and it just that. Brought up a whole lot of feelings that I thought I had left back in 2008. I don’t know if this happens to everyone but I find, when I do look back at the past, that I still have the same insecurities, that although they may present themselves in different ways, deep down they’re still the same.

Do we ever really change?

They say “people can change” but at the same time, the figurative ‘they’ also claim things like “once a cheater, always a cheater” and “a zebra can’t change its’ stripes”. So which one is it? Is it only small things that we can change about ourselves? Like hairstyles and what food that we choose as our favourite at the time. Or are we able to change our characteristics and our personalities? Once we have certain personality traits are we stuck with them?

Do we ever really change?

They say you learn most of your personality traits from your mother and father before the age of five, but does that mean you are destined to turn out like your parents? Personally, one of my biggest fears is that I’ll end up like my parents. Now don’t take that the wrong way, they are decent, hardworking people, but at the same time I don’t want to end up with a life like theirs. I have bigger dreams then to live a life full of struggles and hardship.

Growing up I often heard “you are an awful lot like you father” or “you’re exactly like you’re mother”. Does that mean the cycle has started? Does that mean I’ve inherited the same genetic flaws? How is it possible to live a life different to your parents, when their lives are the only path through life that you’ve witnessed? Are you able to change you’re future?

Do we ever really change?

No comments:

Post a Comment